Ever since moving to Cali and buying a home we have been hemorrhaging money. It is not the fixed expenses like the mortgage, school loans, or utilities. It is the unexpected. In the last 6 months I replaced the sump pump and repaired the roof. Think ChaChing! or maybe No Whammies (remember Press your Luck?). Then there are the things I have chosen to do. Planting fruit trees, Buying a couch and a rug or two, and traveling. Tickets from the West Coast to the East Coast aren’t cheap. Not the frugal expenses of a FIRE wanna be.
There were months where are net spending was over our earnings by a few grand. This is a path to financial disaster. So my wife and I talked and decided to make May a low spending month. We were going to try reducing our costs.
So how is it going thus far?
- Shopping – $624 – Miscellaneous items and Amazon is always the big culprit. Jeff Bezos has secretly made it for all of us to spend money unwittingly.
- Groceries – $181 – Not bad. We try to keep this at $200 a week.
- Restaurants – $598 – Mother’s day early brunch plus a celebratory dinner for some friends
- Kids activities – $325
- Donations and gifts – $81
- Home maintenance/improvement – $50
So total is $1,859. This is not great. There were some one time expenses this month but we will have to drop our expenses in the up coming week to make up for this.