I was motivated by The Happy Philosopher this past week. He initially posted about buying no new clothes for 1 year, but after realizing how many clothes he has (seriously 45 pairs of socks!) he decided he had to up his game. So now he is not buying anything for 1 year.
This struck a chord in me. We are coming from different places, mainly because I am rebuilding my life after the Tubb’s Fire, but the premise is the same. We both want to live more mindfully.
So with that being said, I declare that
I will buy NOTHING for a year.
….within certain parameters of course.
This is different then the low spending month I tried last year. That was more about totally decreasing spending. Now I am working on not accumulating things. Click on these links to see how low spending week 1, week 2, week 3, and week 4 went.
What does buy nothing mean?
Well, mine is a bit different than the good old Happy Doctor, but we follow similar tenants. Here are his rules taken from his site and my edits in caps.
- I will buy myself no “stuff” this year. “Stuff” is a little hard to define, but I loosely define it as permanent durable goods that are not necessary to live. Agree!
- Anything consumable or related to hygiene or household products doesn’t count. I ALSO AGREE. DEODORANT IS A MUST FOR MY WIFE AND COLLEAGUES. NOT SO MUCH FOR ME. I WILL INCLUDE NOSE HAIR TRIMMERS HERE. GETTING OLDER SURE IS WEIRD. PLUS I LOVE TO EAT. SO I WILL BUY FOOD AS I PLEASE.
- I will maintain or repair what I already own. THIS IS A BIT EASIER FOR ME. ALL MY STUFF IS NEW AND I AM RENTING. SO ANYTHING THAT BREAKS FALLS ON THE LANDLORD. I WILL BUY HOME MAINTENANCE ITEMS LIKE WATER AND AIR FILTERS, BUT I ACTUALLY BOUGHT THOSE YESTERDAY FOR THE WHOLE YEAR BEFORE TAKING ON THIS CHALLENGE.
- Replacement items. SEE ABOVE. THE ONLY CAVEAT WILL BE MY CAR, THOUGH IT HAS BEEN SERVICED AND IS RUNNING WELL.
- Experiences: These don’t count. I will still travel, stay in hotels, buy tickets to events, etc. COULD NOT AGREE ANY MORE. I AM READY TO TRAVEL RIGHT NOW. AN AIRSTREAM WILL NOT BE BOUGHT UNLESS IT IS AN AMAZING DEAL.
- Virtual stuff: NOT AN ISSUE FOR ME. I RARELY BUY VIRTUAL STUFF AND CURRENTLY HAVE CABLE IN MY RENTAL.
- Gifting: Even though I’m giving them away, it’s still stuff. If I give away something consumable (food, wine) or even flowers this doesn’t really count. I WILL GET MY WIFE A GIFT FOR HER BIRTHDAY. IT WILL LIKELY BE JEWELRY SINCE SHE LOST ALL OF HERS IN THE FIRE, INCLUDING HER ENGAGEMENT RING.
- Greeting cards: THIS IS A NON-ISSUE WITH ME. I CAN HAVE MY SON MAKE SOME SWEET GIFT CARDS FOR FREE AND IT WILL BE WAY MORE MEANINGFUL.
- Borrowing: Allowed. I hope to fill many of my needs by simply borrowing things I will only use temporarily. I WILL BORROW LIBRARY BOOKS AND MAYBE SOME TOOLS.
- Renting: The only thing I rent with any frequency is cars, but renting tools and other stuff is allowed. I AM COOL WITH THIS.
- Animals: I OWN A DOG AND WANT NO MORE ANIMALS. SO ALSO A NON-ISSUE.
- Gifts: I MAY ALLOW THIS. FAMILY WANTS TO HELP IN THIS TIME. I DON’T HAVE THAT MUCH STUFF ANYWAY.
- Home improvement: GREAT TO RENT. I WON’T WORRY ABOUT THIS ONE.
She really doesn’t care. She is allowed to buy what she wants and I actually don’t buy much anyway. I suspect it will affect her absolutely not at all.
We don’t really have any. After the fire furniture was donated or purchased on the cheap. We may need some area rugs, but again I put this in my wife’s court. She has a much better eye for things then I do. So I will not count this. We bought a car. I got a new laptop and phone. So see, not buying stuff is easy when you have been on a 3-month spending spree.
We have a TV provided with the rental, not that I would have bought one.
Stamps and envelopes. I am going to buy stamps and envelopes as I need them. Oh and stocks. I will be purchasing stocks, but does that really count?
A blue suit. I need at least one for life’s events. So I will be purchasing one.
I guess I can exempt anything that has to do with keeping our soon to be an empty lot safe and clean. If I need a sign saying “NO TRESPASSING” then I should probably do so. I will not buy yard tools for maintenance as I am going to likely hire someone to keep the grass mowed once a month.
Anything my Wife buys. She shops for groceries, herself, and our son (toys and clothes). I will not halt these purchases. I will ask her to not buy me anything over the year other than food. So while our home may continue to accumulate items, they will not be at my request.
Why am I Doing This?
I had been playing with minimalism and living intentionally since the fire. The Happy Philosopher motivated me, so I might as well follow life’s signs. Hopefully, this will continue to break my need for items and materialism.
I will publish every month or two along with the Happy Philosopher, disclosing items I purchased and why. Maybe I will also mention items my wife buys that may have been influenced by me. You can all judge me from there.
Let’s see how it goes. Could be fun or could be painful…really not sure at this point.
Other’s joining us on this journey:
- The Happy Philosopher
- Dads Dollars Debts
- Life Zemplified
- Countdown to Tranquility
- Dr. McFrugal
The monthly recaps
- Buy nothing for 1 year: That’s the plan
- January 2018
- February 2018
- March 2018
- April 2018
- May 2018
- June 2018
- July 2018
- August 2018
- September 2018
- October 2018
- November 2018
Also published on Medium.