So here we are, another month in my attempt to Buy Nothing New! It is wierd to think I am on month 9 of this challenge. The year has flown by and we are now heading into Fall. Craziness. I have gotten very good at this though. So how did August go?
Buy Nothing New- August
The first week of August I was home by myself. The wife and kid had gone off to enjoy the beach. It was nice and relaxing, though I must admit I missed them dearly. Still, I found I was not bored enough to need some retail therapy, so that was good. The habits are changing and I am not buying things. That being said…I still bought some things.
I bought another pair of exercise shorts. This makes my total of exercise shorts 4, but I am going to donate a pair that I do not like. No pockets and quite tight on my body. While tight shorts may be some men’s thing, they definitely are not mine.
I bought an “In Case of Emergency” Binder, 2 binders to hold it, and a hole punch. What is an emergency binder? You can read about it here. Take my word, when you have a disaster you want to be prepared.
I also bought my son some story cubes. These are dice you roll and make up a story. I figure it is a good creative activity.
That’s it. That is all I bought. Pretty crazy when I look at it. I did also get 2 free books. One is about minimalism and one is about personal finance. Both are to be reviewed on this site and both will be donated when I am done with them.
So there you have it. Talk about a low purchase month. Still, we managed to spend money this month. Most of it went to buying food and travel. There have been some big changes in our household and some big moves planned.
Briefly, I have given notice and will be leaving my job in early November. I am moving cross country to take an academic job. In the interim, I am taking 8 weeks off and we will be travel 2 weeks in New Zealand. Finally, we are no longer building a home. So if you would like to buy a lot with a sunset view, hit me up.
- Buy nothing for 1 year: That’s the plan
- January 2018
- February 2018
- March 2018
- April 2018
- May 2018
- June 2018
- July 2018
- August 2018
- September 2018
- October 2018
- November 2018
Running list of material things I have bought in 2018
- Hair clipper (personal hygiene)
- Retainer for my teeth (health related)
- Free t-shirt’s x 2
- Microphone for a podcast (business)
- Picture frame hangers (should have used nails but the frame is quite heavy and we live in earthquake country)
- Ant baits (home maintenance)
- Yoga mat (health related)
- Fancy shoe inserts for my flat feet (health related)
- Bromine tablets for the hot tub (home maintenance) and lavender smelling stuff (frivolous)
- Fancy cooler (frivolous but useful)
- Hubcap x 1 (frivolous but makes me feel good)
- Suits- his and his….(mine was for future business and my son’s was frivolous/experience)
- Hot tub calcium hardener (home maintenance)
- A tent (planned)
- Luggage and a backpack (needed for all the traveling we do)
- A child carrier (frivolous and fell for the sale)
- Walking shoes (for my health or unnecessary? You decide.)
- Plastic water pipe cover (home maintenance)
- Camping great including air mattress, tarp, cooking and eating supplies (wife purchase but both of us use this stuff). Also 3 chairs, a sleeping bag, an inflatable mattress for me, and 2 headlamps.
- Khaki shorts (personal)
- Pair of jeans and workout shorts (personal)
- Pickle Monster Truck (frivolous but worth the smile on my son’s face).
- Hairpin, bracelet, necklace, and earrings (gifts for my wife! Happy Mother’s Day)
- A screwdriver.
- Another screwdriver, a socket wrench, and a step stool (tools, but used to build memories with my brother-in-law)
- A stove and propane tank, roasting sticks, pocket knife, and sleeping bag (more camping gear but we should be complete now! Why all the camping gear? Well we have at least 3 summer trips planned and maybe adding more to the schedule. Ah Northern California!).
- An ax, 2 chairs, 10 tent stakes, and a fishing rod (The camping spree is done).
- Pliers (tools)
- An alarm clock (trying to get out of looking at my phone, so arguably health)
- Thumb Brace (health)
- A book for pleasure (mistake purchase)
- Two 3 ring binders (organization)
- Pair of gym shorts (health?)
- Activity books for my son (entertainment or parental sanity…and thus health?)
- Shorts (erroneously did not know I already had 2 perfectly fine pairs of shorts)
- Emergency Binder with binders and hole punch (peace of mind and emergency prep)
- Two books for me to review
Also published on Medium.