So here we are, another month in my attempt to Buy Nothing New!
I am going to be honest. I forgot to update this when it was first published, so here is my revision. The reality is that I am buying less and less each month. So what did July hold for me? Here is the breakdown.
Buy Nothing New- September
Ninja outfit for Halloween. This would fall into the unneeded items, but my son is going to be a pumpkin ninja, and he wanted me to be a ninja. So boom. Surprisingly I went to the Halloween store in early September and they only had 1 adult Ninja costume. For the kids, they had 30 different types. Why don’t adults want to be Ninjas anymore?
The Groovy Guide to Financial Freedom. If you have not checked it out, go ahead and do so now. This is from one of my favorite bloggers and a great writer. So go check it out. I bought the Kindle version (which is the only one available) and so I am not really creating more clutter.
My wife also bought me a backgammon table. This was to replace one I lost in the fire, albeit the current table is much less expensive and fancy. At some point, I may purchase a nice decorative one again, but for now, this will do. Why backgammon? Well, it is an old Middle Eastern game that my father and I play together. Outside of poker, it is our one shared hobby. So I figure it is good to have one on hand for some afternoon tea and competition.
An SUV protective shirt while visiting Hawaii. It was sunny, I didn’t want to be burned. Enough said.
A pocket knife. Don’t ask me why I bought this but I did. It cost me $10 when I was visiting Lake Tahoe for a friends wedding and served as the bottle opener for the weekend. I suspect it will come in handy for camping.
- Buy nothing for 1 year: That’s the plan
- January 2018
- February 2018
- March 2018
- April 2018
- May 2018
- June 2018
- July 2018
- August 2018
- September 2018
- October 2018
- November 2018
Running list of material things I have bought in 2018
- Hair clipper (personal hygiene)
- Retainer for my teeth (health related)
- Free t-shirt’s x 2
- Microphone for a podcast (business)
- Picture frame hangers (should have used nails but the frame is quite heavy and we live in earthquake country)
- Ant baits (home maintenance)
- Yoga mat (health related)
- Fancy shoe inserts for my flat feet (health related)
- Bromine tablets for the hot tub (home maintenance) and lavender smelling stuff (frivolous)
- Fancy cooler (frivolous but useful)
- Hubcap x 1 (frivolous but makes me feel good)
- Suits- his and his….(mine was for future business and my son’s was frivolous/experience)
- Hot tub calcium hardener (home maintenance)
- A tent (planned)
- Luggage and a backpack (needed for all the traveling we do)
- A child carrier (frivolous and fell for the sale)
- Walking shoes (for my health or unnecessary? You decide.)
- Plastic water pipe cover (home maintenance)
- Camping great including air mattress, tarp, cooking and eating supplies (wife purchase but both of us use this stuff). Also 3 chairs, a sleeping bag, an inflatable mattress for me, and 2 headlamps.
- Khaki shorts (personal)
- Pair of jeans and workout shorts (personal)
- Pickle Monster Truck (frivolous but worth the smile on my son’s face).
- Hairpin, bracelet, necklace, and earrings (gifts for my wife! Happy Mother’s Day)
- A screwdriver.
- Another screwdriver, a socket wrench, and a step stool (tools, but used to build memories with my brother-in-law)
- A stove and propane tank, roasting sticks, pocket knife, and sleeping bag (more camping gear but we should be complete now! Why all the camping gear? Well we have at least 3 summer trips planned and maybe adding more to the schedule. Ah Northern California!).
- An ax, 2 chairs, 10 tent stakes, and a fishing rod (The camping spree is done).
- Pliers (tools)
- An alarm clock (trying to get out of looking at my phone, so arguably health)
- Thumb Brace (health)
- A book for pleasure (mistake purchase)
- Two 3 ring binders (organization)
- Pair of gym shorts (health?)
- Activity books for my son (entertainment or parental sanity…and thus health?)
- Shorts (erroneously did not know I already had 2 perfectly fine pairs of shorts)
- Emergency Binder with binders and hole punch (peace of mind and emergency prep)
- Two books for me to review
- A pocket knife
- A SUV protective shirt
Also published on Medium.