Ever since moving to Cali and buying a home we have been hemorrhaging money. It is not the fixed expenses like the mortgage, school loans, or utilities. It is the unexpected. In the last 6 months I replaced the sump pump and repaired the roof. Think ChaChing! or maybe No Whammies (remember Press your Luck?). Then there are the things I have chosen to do. Planting fruit trees, Buying a couch and a rug or two, and traveling. Tickets from the West Coast to the East Coast aren’t cheap. Not the frugal expenses of a FIRE wanna be.
There were months where are net spending was over our earnings by a few grand. This is a path to financial disaster. So my wife and I talked and decided to make May a low spending month. We were going to try reducing our costs.
So how is it going thus far?
- Shopping – $624 – Miscellaneous items and Amazon is always the big culprit. Jeff Bezos has secretly made it for all of us to spend money unwittingly.
- Groceries – $181 – Not bad. We try to keep this at $200 a week.
- Restaurants – $598 – Mother’s day early brunch plus a celebratory dinner for some friends
- Kids activities – $325
- Donations and gifts – $81
- Home maintenance/improvement – $50
So total is $1,859. This is not great. There were some one time expenses this month but we will have to drop our expenses in the up coming week to make up for this.Follow me on social media!